ACI Foundation Richard D. Stehly Memorial Scholarship Application Details
Candidates completing studies for their bachelors degree from an accredited program may apply for this award. Based on essays, submitted data, and recommendations, the Scholarship Council of the ACl Foundation, a subsidiary of ACI, selects a scholarship recipient who appears to have the strongest combination of interest and potential for professional success in the concrete industry.
This undergraduate scholarship consists of a cash stipend of $3000 (U.S.) for a 1 year period. The stipend will be sent to the financial aid office of the institution designated by the applicant where the study program will be pursued. These funds will then be deposited into the recipient’s university account.
Requirements and Directions
- At the time of applying for and receiving the scholarship, the applicant shall be enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program from an institution of higher education that is accredited by the responsible regional or national agency.
- The undergraduate study program shall be in the area of concrete with an emphasis on structural design, materials, construction, or any combination thereof.
- Applicants must be full-time undergraduates at the time of applying for and receiving the scholarship. Course work during a summer session will count toward the degree year. Applications will be accepted from anywhere in the world but the undergraduate program must be ABET-accredited or a mutually recognized program by ABET.
List of approved programs.
- For your application packet to be considered for this award, each of the following pieces of information must be submitted by the deadline indicated:
- Completed 2015-2016 typed application form (handwritten applications will not be accepted) Click here for the application.
- One-page resume (anything more than one page will not be accepted)
- Essay (1 ½ page limit, 750 word maximum.) Name must appear on first page. Half a page of your essay must describe your personal activities to promote sustainability in your community.
- Two (2) completed online reference forms Please click here for the Online Reference Forms.
- All undergraduate transcripts (all universities attended during all undergraduate studies to present date) are required.
ACI staff does not contact applicants upon receipt of their application materials.
- The application, essay, and resume should be sent to email@example.com together in one e-mail package. Hard copies of applications, essays, and resumes will not be accepted. Only Microsoft Word documents will be accepted.
- Official Transcripts: The following requirements must be met for all transcript submissions:
- Transcripts shall be submitted for all undergraduate and graduate programs attended.
- All transcripts must be original and official documents. Unofficial transcripts or copies of transcripts will not be accepted.
- Many universities now provide official E-Transcripts. ACI will accept this form of transcript, as long as it comes directly from your University with an official digital signature or stamp. ACI will not accept E-Transcripts sent directly from an applicant’s e-mail address. Review and acceptance of E-Transcripts will be at the discretion of the Scholarship Coordinator.
- Transcripts must be in English or accompanied by a version translated in English.
- Translations must be literal and complete versions of the original transcripts. Translations shall be performed by a university, government official, or official translation service. The translation shall be attested or signed by the translator. Applicants may not submit self-translation. Courses must be described in detail. The general subject name (e.g., "mathematics") is not sufficient; the particular subject (e.g., "differential equations," "algebraic topology") must be identified.
- Transcripts shall include an explanation of the grading scale if different from the 4.0 scale used in the U.S. Translations shall include grades based on an A, B, C, D scale where A is 90-100, B is 80-89, C is 70-79, D is 60-69, and F is 59 or less.
- Transcripts should be mailed directly from the university. Transcripts mailed by the student must be sealed in an envelope with a university stamp over the seal.
- Transcripts shall reach the scholarship coordinator no later than October 15, 2014.
- Transcripts shall be sent to:
Attn: Scholarship Coordinator
38800 Country Club Drive
Farmington Hills, MI 48331
Please note that any document, including transcripts, received by ACI becomes the property of ACI and will not be returned.
- Online reference forms are statements of evaluation of the applicant, in terms of potential for growth, character, leadership capacity, and career interest, which are required from two evaluators. One online reference form must be from a faculty member. We ask that the other be from an employer, when possible. All reference forms must be submitted in English. Only the online reference forms will be accepted. Mailed, e-mailed, or faxed letters of recommendation will not be accepted. There is no need for more than two reference forms. Only the first two reference forms received will be reviewed. It is your responsibility to follow up with your evaluators to ensure that all application materials are submitted by the deadline.
- The deadline for all application materials is 11:59 p.m. EST on October 15, 2014. Please be sure that your name is on every piece of material submitted.
- All applicants can be withdrawn for failure to comply with any of these items listed above and on the Web site.